Welcome to Cart with Kathy! I created this blog to share some of my entertaining experiences as a server at a golf course.


The names mentioned in my stories have been changed for privacy.


Tuesday, September 21, 2010

You Know You Work too Often When...

Oh, the characters on a golf course.  It is interesting to see what you can discover about the regulars just by serving them daily.  For example, Mr. C, Mr. T and Mr. B golf every Saturday morning.  By 11 am they have finished their 18 holes and are hungry for breakfast.  Though Mr. B rarely orders breakfast, Mr. T and Mr. C like their eggs over easy with two slices of original bacon and one pemeal and of course a healthy serving of hash browns.  Ah ah ah! Don't forget to bring the Frank's Hot sauce to the table when you run their food, Mr. T drizzles it over the entire plate.  A Stella Artois for Mr. T, a Coor's Light for Mr. C and a Canadian for Mr. B.
Beer and drink orders were very easy to remember.  Every Wednesday, Mr. and Mrs. F would arrive in the clubhouse after 9 holes.  Mrs. F would approach the bar and place their regular order while Mr. F enjoyed a cigarette on the patio.  Mrs. F would order a rum and Diet Coke in a small bar glass with a lime wedge for her husband and  a tall glass of ice water for herself.  Occasionally, they ordered a basket of fries.
You don't only learn these preferences among the members and regulars, but of course your co-workers.  Nick in the Proshop detests onions and will usually order a salad with blue cheese dressing and occasionally sweet potato fries.  Jim, however, would rather eat rat poison than have a french fry.  He was more interested in the "Special Salad" or a veggie plate with balsamic (not ranch!).  But nothing is as particular as the "Big Burger".  One day early in the summer, our GM, Steve, ordered a "Big Burger" from me, without giving many details of what this burger actually included.  He later informed me that a "Big Burger" had everything on it (but I later discovered that he preferred the Big Burger without pickles).  So I entered the kitchen fully equipped with my ingredients: a beef patty, of course, bacon, tomato, onions, cheese and lettuce.  I placed the patty on the grill and covered it with a lid of a pot.  Then, after toasting the buns, I prepared the dressings on them.  I learned quickly that Steve liked onions (unlike Nick) but only on a burger if they were placed beneath the patty on the lower bun.  This way, they didn't slide out.  Once I flipped the patty, I would usually cut the bacon into patty-length strips and lay them on top of the patty and then apply the cheese as an adhesive for the bacon.  On the side, Steve generally liked sweet potato fries, although he commonly asked for hash browns by mistake and would be unpleasantly surprised when we presented his plate.  Otherwise, he would ask for Jim's beloved "Special Salad" which consisted of tomatoes, cucumbers and feta cheese with balsamic (A Kathy original!).  On my last day, Jim told me, no, he won't miss me, but the salads.
7 days a week at work will inevitably lead to routine and regularity but to be quite honest, I liked knowing about people's little preferences.  After all, it would be no fun to work in a place where you couldn't get to know the people.  But man, was it ever disappointing when we ran out of lime wedges!

No comments:

Post a Comment